When it opened in 1910, the Neoclassical-style Normal Hall Library at Indiana State University (then known as Indiana State Normal School) offered an inspiring place for study, with an elegant reading room topped by a skylit dome surrounded by stained-glass panels depicting historical figures in arts, philosophy and culture.

By the twenty-first century, Normal Hall was largely empty and underutilized, its glorious dome concealed by dropped ceiling, the stained glass panels lying broken in a darkened attic-like space, with a handful saved to hang in the campus library. In 2015, Indiana State rescued the landmark from its mothballed state, returning it to service as Center for Student Success and University College following a $16 million restoration.